Disney+ has announced that Brandy will return to the role of Cinderella some 25 years after the 1997 Walt Disney TV movie as she and fellow pop superstar Rita Ora head to the fantastical kingdom of Auradon The pocket watchthe next chapter of Disney progeny Franchise.
The official synopsis of the Disney+ original film reads:
The Descendants films unfolded an imaginative mythology of two new lands, idyllic Auradon and the ragged Isle of the Lost, home to the teenage descendants of Disney’s most famous characters and particularly its most notorious villains. The bold new story of The Pocketwatch returns to these lands and also takes the audience down the rabbit hole into hostile unincorporated Wonderland, a magical, mysterious place made famous in Alice in Wonderland.
The sprawling new story finds polar opposites Red and Chloe crossing paths a momentous celebration in Auradon when unexpected chaos ensues. To prevent an imminent coup, they must band together to use a magical pocket watch created by the Mad Hatter’s son to travel back in time to prevent an event that would have dire consequences.
Brandy’s Cinderella is described as “elegant, warm-hearted, kind-hearted and diplomatic,” while Ora – is one of her acting credits Fifty shades sequels and the Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight TV Series – stars as the tyrannical Queen of Hearts, the iron ruler of the Kingdom of Wonderland.
Joins Brandy and Rita Ora in the cast of The pocket watch are:
- Kylie Cantrall as “Red”, the rebellious 16-year-old daughter of the Queen of Hearts. Red knows she’ll never get the Queen’s approval, so she finds ways to provoke her mother and cause trouble.
- Malia Baker as “Chloe”, the cheerful 16-year-old daughter of Cinderella and Prince Charming who is smart and athletic, but her privilege makes her a bit naïve about the real world.
- China Anne McClain returns as Uma, daughter of the infamous sea witch Ursula, a role she previously played in Descendants 2 and Descendants 3. Strong and fierce, Uma always fights for what she thinks is right.
- Dara Renee as “Ulyana”, the younger sister of Ursula. She is a teenage sea witch and a mean girl with eight evil tentacles and a crew of minions.
- Ruby rose turner as the “Bridget/Young Queen of Hearts” who is good-natured, bubbly, generous, and the complete opposite of her adult self.
- Morgan Dudley as “Ella/Young Cinderella,” who is blunt, pragmatic, and has a bit on her shoulder from being forced to work for her evil stepmother.
- Joshua Colley as “Hook”, one of Ulyana’s toadlicks, a rich kid with a hoop earring and a shiny hook where his left hand should be. His arrogance is matched only by his vanity.
- Melanie Paxson returns as the Fairy Godmother, the wise and kind headmistress of Auradon Prep who has appeared in all three Descendants films.
The pocket watch Directed by Jennifer Phang (The flight attendant) based on a screenplay by Dan Frey and Russell Sommer (Magic the Gathering).