Spotify is a wonderful app to discover and enjoy your favorite tracks, podcasts or even audiobooks. Whether you’re listening to your workout playlist or enjoying some new tunes to get you through the day, streaming music on Spotify through your smartwatch is a handy feature to have access to.
With a sleek design and great features, the Samsung Galaxy Watch makes it easy to listen to your favorite tracks – either through your smartwatch’s built-in speaker or your phone or other connected Bluetooth devices – so you can enjoy podcasts and playlists on the go. Let’s take a look at how to set up and use Spotify on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
Get started with Spotify on your Wear OS smartwatch
With the Spotify Connect feature, you can stream and remotely control music playback across a range of connected devices. To use Spotify on your watch, you must first pair it with your phone. You can then listen to music on supported devices – whether it’s your smartphone, Bluetooth earphones or smart speakers.
This process mainly works with the Galaxy Watch 3, Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 5 devices. You can also do this with some other Wear OS watches like a Pixel watch. For this guide we are using a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4.
Select models like the Galaxy Watch 3, Galaxy Watch Active 2 and some others support direct audio output. For some devices, you might even need a Spotify Premium account to use the feature.
However, it may take some work to stream music directly to your Samsung smartwatch. We’ll walk you through the steps in the following sections. To get started, you need to download the Spotify app on your smartphone and also on your smartwatch.
Downloads: Spotify for Android | iOS (free, subscription available)
Here’s how to control Spotify on your phone with your Samsung Galaxy Watch
As mentioned, you can set up Spotify on your smartwatch to play music through your phone. To do this, you need to pair it with the Spotify account on your connected smartphone. Here’s how:
- Start the Spotify app on your smartphone and log in with your data. Make sure they are connected to the same network and have Bluetooth functionality enabled.
- Next, open the app on your smartwatch. A pairing code will appear. Beat Pair on phone. Alternatively, you can visit the Spotify website and enter the code.
- Check your connected smartphone for the confirmation screen. Beat Pair now to complete the setup. Your watch will automatically connect to the Spotify account on your phone.
- Next, tap the device icon at the bottom of your smartwatch. Choose Your phone from the available device options. Please note that you cannot select your watch for audio output.
- Swipe left to access your music queues or collections. Select an audio track or podcast and click To play. The track will play on your phone.
Here’s how to play music directly on your Samsung Galaxy Watch
While it’s a bit difficult to play music directly on your smartwatch, there’s still a convenient way to set it up. Instead, you can connect to the Spotify web player or desktop app and listen to playlists, radio stations, and podcasts right on your Galaxy Watch.
For one, your smartwatch and web player must be connected over the same network. Here’s how you can do this:
- Open Spotify in your web browser. Scroll down to the bottom right corner and tap device icon.
- You can see all your connected devices – your web browser, your smartphone and other devices on the same network.
- Next, swipe up on your smartwatch to access your app drawer, then launch the Spotify app.
- Swipe left to access your playlists/library. You get limited playlist options unless you are Spotify Premium user. Choose a track to listen to.
- Your smartwatch should now be visible in the list of connected devices on your web player. If not, check if your smartwatch and web player are connected on the same network.
- Select your watch and tap To play to start playback directly on your smartwatch.
- You can now control playback settings (pause, skip and favourites) directly from your watch.
- If that doesn’t work, you can refresh the web player or close it and try again.
- You can also control the audio output at any time – phone, smartwatch, web browser or other streaming devices. You can also adjust the volume controls.
With a premium subscription to Spotify, you can choose from multiple playlist options and tracks – be they radio stations, podcasts, artists or albums. Be sure to check out some of these Spotify websites to discover new tunes and get recommendations based on your favorite tracks.
How to stream music on your Galaxy Watch with Google Assistant
This is yet another useful feature. You can set up Google Assistant on your smartwatch. Once done, you can link your Spotify account to control music playback with Google Assistant voice commands. That’s how it’s done:
- Open the Google app on your smartphone. Tap the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Navigate to Settings > Music. Under the More music services section, tap Spotify.
- Tap on the confirmation screen Next > Agree and continue.
- Enter your Spotify account credentials. Read the terms and tap Agree confirm.
- Your accounts will now be linked. You can use Google Assistant on your smartwatch and connected phones to access Spotify’s music controls.
You can also download and listen to music and podcasts from Spotify on Apple Watch.
Access music controls right from your smartwatch
We hope you enjoyed this guide on how to stream music from Spotify straight to your watch. We think it’s a pretty cool feature too!
Next time you go jogging and need access to music controls right from your wrist, your Galaxy Watch will be able to keep up with you. Just make sure the Spotify app is updated on your device and follow the steps above and you should be good to go.