The opening tip
• Longwood completes a five-game homestand Friday afternoon by hosting Mary Baldwin.
• The Lancers played three games over three days during the JK54 Classic. It was the second straight season that Longwood hosted a multi-team event.
• DeShaun Wade was named Big South Player of the Week on Monday 21st November. The graduate student averaged 14.3 points per game and scored at least 10 points in all three games last week. Also, he went 11-17 of three.
• Three players average at least 10 points per game per season. Isaiah Wilkins leads the team with 11.5 points per game Walyn Napper (10.8 points) and Leslie Nkereuwem (10.0 points) directly behind him.
• Wilkins was placed on the watchlist for the 2022-23 Lou Henson Award, presented annually to the top mid-major in Division I.
last time out
• At the JK54 Classic, Longwood beat VMI and Fairleigh Dickinson 2-1 and narrowly lost to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
• The final was a defensive struggle, with both teams shooting less than 35 percent from the ground.
• SIUE led by eight at half-time but Longwood recovered after half-time. The Lancers took a late lead with a 10-0 run, but SIUE ended the game at the free-throw line.
• DeShaun Wade Longwood led with 14 points remaining with six rebounds. He also hit two threes.
• SIUE had three players in double figures, with Ray’Sean Taylor scoring the best team with 15 points.
• Longwood twice surpassed 90 points in the first two games of the classic. The Lancers hit 17 threes against VMI and scored 46 points in the paint against FDU.
According to the numbers
• Longwood has played relentlessly at paintball in six games this season, and the team averaged 37.7 points in paintball over three games. The team posted a season-high 56 points in the paint against Pfeiffer.
• The Lancer defense was difficult to crack, keeping opponents at a shot percentage of .415 (145-349). This brand is the third best in the Great South.
• Longwood ranks fourth in the Big South with 78.0 points per game. The Lancers had at least 90 points in three straight games (Pfeiffer, VMI, Fairleigh Dickinson).
• The Lancers average 9.3 offensive rebounds per game and the team has grabbed at least 10 offensive boards in four of their six games. Longwood ranked 27th in the nation last season by hitting 12.2 offensive rebounds per game.
• Longwood is second largest in the Great South with a revenue margin of +3.33. The Lancers are averaging 10.8 turnovers per game while forcing 14.2.
• The Lancers are third in the league with a 1.23 assist-to-turnover ratio. Longwood averages 13.3 assists per game with just 10.8 turnovers.
• Longwood was voted Big South Champions again in the preseason poll, with the Lancers receiving 16 of 20 first-place votes. It marked the highest spot in the preseason poll in team history.
• The Lancers are ranked 173rd in the KenPom rankings, one of their highest rankings ever. so early in the season. The team is the second largest among the Big South members. The team finished last season in 145th place, the best mark to finish a season in program history.
• Longwood had two preseason All-Conference selections prior to the 2022-23 season. It was the first time the team had selected two players for preseason All-Conference honors since joining the Big South in 2012.
“We missed boxouts and they got offensive rebounds that put them on the line… On the offensive end, our shot selection was poor. Our lack of execution and lack of discipline were really the drivers. We must be hungry to elaborate on the details, and we didn’t have that tonight. It starts with your mental approach… We need to fix that.
– Longwood head coach Griff Aldrich after losing to SIUE
• The two sides have never met.
• Mary Baldwin began his program in 2019 by hiring current head coach Matt Griggs.